Friday, October 01, 2010

Nate Berkus says.....

that your home should tell the story of your life, of who your are.

I heard Nate say that on the radio on my way home from work the other day, and I haven't stopped thinking about it since. I believe in that philosophy, and I have tried hard to make sure that our home is a reflection of the people that live there.......that our home tells the story of where we are on our journey in this life.

That means, that there is a bulletin board filled with photos of the people that we love in the kitchen, that there is art work taped on the kid's doors, that there is blue marker all over the walls in the playroom, that there are dolls and trucks and soccer balls and paperwork and legal pads and chore charts and Anthropologie bags and Target receipts and books and shoes strewn about. It means that there are dishes in the sink and clothes in the washing machine pretty much every single day. It means there are craft projects in various stages of completion. It means that on most days, I have to let the kids simply have fun and resist the urge to yell at them....er, gently remind them to clean up after themselves every twenty minutes. It also means that the boxes of decorations come down out of the attic for each change of season and each holiday to be celebrated.

Our mantel is complete just in time for the first day of October!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

You described my house pretty well too. I love your mantel and that banner...how fun. Have a great weekend.

Brandi said...

I love Nate!!!!!! Where in the world did your witch come from? Love it!!!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails