Monday, October 04, 2010

enjoying the little things

I talk a lot on this blog (and in real life) about keeping things simple, being in the moment, enjoying the small things, etc.... but in reality, those are concepts that are easier said than done. In reality, I often find myself being everywhere BUT in the moment. Instead, I am usually doing one thing and thinking about doing another. I am "playing" with the kids while looking up something on the iPad. I am looking at inspirational blogs, compiling lots of great ideas, and then feeling frustrated that I don't follow through. I am taking great photos of the kids and at the same time, thinking about how many thousands of photos are already on my hard drive that may never find their way into a photo album, blog post or scrapbook. I often lay down at night and replay the day's events, thinking of missed opportunities, ways I could have been kinder, lessons I could have reinforced, friends I could have called, moments I could have savored. Like all of us, I am a work in progress. I look for ways to be a better mother, a better wife, a better friend, a better Christian.......but sometimes, it can all become just a little too much, and I have a burning desire to just take a deep breath and be grateful for where I am today, right here, right now.

This weekend, I sat outside while the kids played in the front yard, and it felt so good to just be with them, to put away everything else, and just watch them and enjoy them. This is what really matters..........sometimes I forget.


2 comments:

Kelli said...

Good for you for taking your moment. Love the pictures that you shared...just in time for Fall. Keep enjoying the little moments and I'm sure in them you'll grown into just who God created you to be :)

Courtney said...

Hi Kristy (I learned about you from BYW!)...I feel as if you just read my journal and every thought I've had lately! Being present seems hard - but when we do it, it's such a reminder of God's presence. Sometimes I have to put down the camera (which is so hard!) and force myself to just be. And I'm always so touched when I do. Children are so happy with the simple! Keep up the great work. ~Courtney

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails