Tuesday, July 13, 2010

summer reading

Here's a quick look at the books I have been enjoying so far this Summer:


1. "Trust".....this is the book I am currently reading, and let me just say, it is not for the faint of heart!! There is some pretty rough language and pretty tough subject matter in this one, but it is definitely a gripping, glued-to-the-edge-of-your-seat kind of book. I could not put it down last night, and ended up staying up way past my bed time!

2. "A Soft Place to Land".....I chose this one while I was browsing around Costco because of the recommendation on the front cover from Kathryn Stockett (author of "The Help" which is an amazing book). It is a quick, easy, enjoyable read......perfect for Summer.

3. "Summer Island".......picked this one up at Costco as well. I have read quite a few of Kristin Hannah's books, and I have enjoyed every single one of them (I recently read "Winter Garden" and highly recommend it!!). This is another great Summer read about a strained mother-daughter relationship and the journey they take in order to heal.


4. "The Red Tent"....I know I am way behind on this one, but for some reason, even though I have had this one on my shelf for a very long time, I just couldn't bring myself to read it until now. I am often drawn to a book's cover, and something about this one just didn't draw me in at first.
This book was a huge bestseller for a reason. It is beautifully written, and tackles a pretty tough time period in a way that makes it relevant and readable. This is one I won't soon forget!


5. "Just Let Me Lie Down"......this was the second book I purchased and read on my iPad. It is a witty, relatable, alphabetized look at working motherhood from the editor of Real Simple magazine. I am not currently a full-time working mother, but I struggle with guilt over the hours that I am away from my children, and I am always interested in other mom's perspectives on leaving their children in the care of someone else. I am in a bit of a transition period right now.....making some major life decisions about starting a business, going back to work, finding my "place," and this gave me some insight on how some women simply refuse to feel the guilt and instead, look at all the positives that their career brings to their family.


6. "Uncharted TerriTORI"........OK, you can stop laughing now! This was the very first book I purchased and read on my brand spanking new iPad, and it did not disappoint! I actually read this one while laying in bed with the stomach flu, and it was just what the doctor ordered: light, easy, funny and relaxing. I have actually read all three of Tori's books, and I find her to be quite interesting (and yes, I like the reality show too).

2 comments:

The Prosper Russells said...

WOW! What a list! I am behind on my "fun" reading!

Shayne and Leslee said...

Wahoo-I was wondering what good book I could dive into next and you've taken the guesswork out for me! I'll go in search of them now! And, LOVE the pic of you beautiful son looking up into the camera--nailed that one!!
Leslee

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails