Monday, March 08, 2010

embroidery




OK, so I needed another hobby like a hole in the head, but I recently took up embroidery, and so far, I am in love!!

I signed up for a little e-zine embroidery course that walks you through all the stitches needed to build an Embroidery Sampler.....this is all very new to me, but basically, the idea is to end up with a linen panel that is filled in with lots of pretty stitches along with all sorts of bits and bobs found in my stash (various pieces of ribbon, lace, buttons, etc...).

I am in the very beginning stages, so eventually the panel you see above will be much more filled in, but I thought I would give you a little peek at my progress. This was a perfect thing to work on during the Oscars last night, and I was so proud of myself for finally figuring out how to do a french knot.......let me just say it is NOT easy :)
My daughter also thought I was uber cool when I dyed a linen scrap with Kool-aid (see the above pink square)!!

Of course, I have already had a few snide comments about my newest hobby......lots of talk about how it is a "grandmotherly hobby," but I am totally embracing my inner grandma, and moving full force ahead!

1 comment:

Andrea on Third Street said...

Good job! Everything old is new again, right? Same for crafts, I guess. I love embroidery and I'm definately NOT a grandmother. I think it is so much fun to put your own modern twist on this old passtime and make it something so special.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails