Thursday, October 01, 2009

adventures in baking

Have you seen the movie "Julie & Julia" yet? It is such a cute movie and very inspirational. I for one, am NOT a chef....I can barely boil water!! I like the whole idea of cooking (the shows, the cookbooks, the gadgets) but I am just not very good at it. I do, however, enjoy baking......so I have decided to conduct my own little experiment by baking everything in the "Eat Dessert First" cookbook that we received at Creative Escape this year. It's a small, cute little book and everything in it sounds delicious!! No rules, no time limits, just a goal I have set for myself to bake everything in the entire book.....in order.

First up, Heidi Swapp's Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies:


Pre-heat oven to 350

Combine:

1 cup brown sugar (be sure it’s fresh. NO CLUMPS. Very important. Packed)
½ cup granulated sugar 
1 cup shortening (it has to be butter flavor Crisco…and I like the sticks)

combine that all in a mixer and mix until it’s nice and fluffy…
add in:

2 eggs
1 t. vanilla 

mix until it’s really fluffy
Then add:

2 cups flour
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda

mix until it’s all combined, use a spatula to push down all the extra flour etc… 
don’t over mix this part…
then add in as many choc. chips as you feel comfortable

keep the cookie size smallish… like 2” ball.
Bake them for 11 minutes and then remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a cooling rack

The Verdict: These cookies taste great and I was so proud of myself for actually baking them from scratch.....no break-n-bake for a change!! My husband loved them and said they tasted like fudge. Next time, I think I will try semi-sweet morsels instead of the milk chocolate for comparison. They were simple, quick and yummy....can't beat that :)


3 comments:

SouthernGalsBoutique said...

I'm not quite sure how I stumbled across your site, I'm one that travels from one blog to another.. but I love your posts! your pictures are gorgeous, and I like your idea on organizing scrapbooks! I've been struggling with that for awhile, with 3 kids on how to set them all up... looks great!!

Unknown said...

Hi kristy:) I came by via Ali's class blogroll:) Oh my those cookies look yummy:) I am so gonna have to try that recipe:)

The Mother Huddle said...

I came to check out the cookies, which look fabulous, and found my jaw drop at the two beautiful faces that were there to greet me. Thanks for sharing this...look forward to seeing you around!

Destri

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails