Monday, October 06, 2008

on reading






So with my upcoming Fall Book Exchange party in the works, I have started thinking about which book I will bring (it doesn't have to be your all time favorite book, just one of your favorites).....I will be thinking about that one long and hard I'm sure. I want it to be a book that someone else will get some enjoyment out of, but I also want to pick something that isn't on any best-seller lists, something that the person who receives it isn't likely to have already read. Hmmmmm???
Here are the books I have been reading in the past few weeks:
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld: this is a fiction account of Laura and George W. Bush's life together told from Laura's point of view......I found it frustrating at first, not knowing which parts were fiction and which were based on actual facts, but I am actually very glad that I stuck with it.....great writing and an interesting take on their lives
Giving by Bill Clinton: this is a great book all about how we can each do our part to make this world a better place for ourselves and for future generations.....I loved the accounts of "everyday" people and how they were able to turn small amounts of money into huge changes in people's lives
sTori Telling by Tori Spelling: OK, don't laugh, but while Johnny was at the Heath-Rockwall game Friday night, I read this entire book cover to cover after the kids went to bed.....I admit, I was a big 90210 fan, but I really started liking Tori after her reality show on Oxygen......this was an easy read and pretty darn interesting
The Samaritan's Dilemma:Should Government Help Your Neighbor? by Deborah Stone: this is definitely a "deep" read and maybe not terribly interesting to some people, but I found it extremely enlightening and it gave me an historical perspective on the whole issue of government programs aimed at helping its citizens

On my To-Read list:
Living Simply with Children
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks
Being Catholic Now by Kerry Kennedy
How Strong Women Pray by Bonnie St. John
Operating Instructions by Ann Lamott
House Thinking: A Room by Room look at How We Live by Winifred Gallagher

Also, have you checked out www.goodreads.com 
this is a cool place to keep up with all the books you've read and see what your friends are reading

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails