Thursday, August 28, 2008

inspired


I am still feeling the inspiration from last night's speeches, from all the speeches I have seen this week really........Ted Kennedy's, Hilary's, Bill's, Joe Biden's, Michelle Obama's and a few others along the way.
I have been interested in politics for as long as I can remember. I majored in Government in college b/c I was interested even then, and although my involvement has not always been consistent, I have always known where my heart felt at home. 
I don't remember ever making the choice to be a "democrat." I have thought about that a lot given where I come from and the views of most of my family and friends......yet I know that I have always been drawn to the people in the democratic party, always been drawn to their ideals, and I know without a doubt that it is possible to be a good Christian girl and still be a Democrat through and through.
When I stop and think about the women that I truly admire in public life, the ones that immediately come to mind are Nancy Pelosi, Hilary Clinton, Maria Shriver, Jackie Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy and many others that also just happen to be Democrats.....these are the women that inspire me, the women that I hope my daughter looks up to. These are women that have made history b/c they are smart and honest, women who love their family and love their country, women who are spiritual and filled with faith. Women who believe in public service. Women who were not afraid to stand up for their beliefs even when their beliefs were unpopular. Women who were willing to make sacrifices in order to make the world a better place for all of our daughters (and sons).
I have always been intrigued by the Kennedy family and although I know they are far from perfect, I do believe their family has many things to teach us. Through learning more and more about their relationships with one another, I have come to greatly respect their emphasis on public service. I want to teach my own children the importance of being a good citizen by reaching out to the people in our community......teaching them that we are all in this together, that they are no better and no worse than anyone else and that to whom much is given, much is expected.
I pray that I am an example to my children that politics is not just for "everyone else" but that as Americans, we have a duty to get involved, to be informed and to vote for the man or woman that we feel will best represent our ideals and interests. I hope that they enjoy the process as much as I do and that they understand just how blessed we are to live in a country where we are allowed to be involved in the decision-making process of our nation!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails