Wednesday, March 21, 2012

thoughts on reading, writing and being inspired


To say that I love to read would be a massive understatement. I just looked at the bookshelf on my iPad and according to that handy little gadget, I have read a total of 13 books since January (and it's only March!!).

I read at night after the kids are in bed, I read on the weekends, I read on vacation, and when I'm into a really great book, I pretty much read around the clock, choosing to let the kids "play by themselves" and to serve them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner.....good parenting be damned ;-)

I've read self-help books, relationship books, religious books, Oprah-book-club-books, fiction, non-fiction, Vampire books, mysteries, biographies, memoirs....you name it. And there have been times in my life when I was knee-deep in "scholarly reading" (college/law school), but couldn't keep myself out of the nearest Barnes and Noble to browse the aisles, and pick out a few must-reads.

My shelves are also filled to the brim with books on creativity and writing.....my second passion. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a "writer." It's a little embarrassing to admit, but it's true. If I could choose any profession in the world (other than maybe being a rock star), I would choose to be a writer. I'm inspired by great writers, and every now and then, I come across a writer that makes me want to run to the nearest Starbucks, pull out my laptop and write my little heart out. In the last month, I've come across two of those writers......women who I feel an immediate connection to, who inspire me, women who make me want to write, who make me want to be a better person, a better mother, who make me pay attention to my life in a brand new way.

Shauna Niequist writes the way I would hope to write if I were a writer.....does that make sense? She is real and witty and sharp and she values all the things that I value (motherhood, writing, marriage, books, friendship, food, celebrating) but she does it in a way that is thoughtful and poignant and delicious. She's written two books, and has one on the way, and I can not wait to get my hands on it when it comes out!

I read Jen Hatmaker's book "7" in two days, and I haven't stopped talking about it since. It made me look at the excess in my life with a critical eye, and really think about what God has called us to do with our "wealth" as Christians. It's a tough read, and it's hard not to walk away from it feeling guilty or overwhelmed, but reading Jen's blog has given me a deeper understanding of the woman that she is and the value of her words.

I feel grateful that the words of these two women crossed my path this year....as with all things, at exactly the right time. And when I find something or someone great, I can't help but share. I hope you find as much joy in the words of these two women as I did.

1 comment:

Krysta said...

The book "7" sounds so interesting. Thank you for sharing it! I'm always looking to simplify. It is a constant battle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails