Monday, February 01, 2010

the month of love

Happy Love Month to all of you!!

I finished up "The Happiness Project" a few days ago, and I have found myself going back and re-reading passages, really trying to soak it all in (it's been a long time since I have done that with a book!!). There are a ton of great ideas in the book, but with everything else I have going on right now, I really don't think I am up for a year-long Happiness Project of my own. Instead, I am going to tackle of few of the resolutions throughout the year, when I feel like they could be especially useful.

With Valentine's Day right around the corner, I decided to focus on LOVE the entire month of February. That means, that this month, I am going to:

(1) Quit nagging = I hate being a nag, Johnny hates being nagged = enough said

(2) Don't expect praise or appreciation = OK, this is going to be a hard one for me (and that is putting it mildly). Something I heard once in a bible study really stuck with me: when you do something for someone else, and they don't give you praise or appreciation, you end up resenting them, but if you do something for someone else, and your goal is to honor the Lord, your entire mind-set shifts.....you are doing what is good, what is right, what is honorable because that is what the Lord would have you do, and not because you are looking for a pat on the back.

(3) Give proofs of love = "Whatever love I might feel in my heart, other will see only my actions," Gretchen Rubin. For me, this means that this month, I am going to find ways to show the important people in my life how much I love them: putting little notes in my daughter's lunch, taking my husband's shirts to the dry cleaners the first time he asks, sending photos and artwork to the grandparents, sending thank-you notes, having a long over-due dinner with friends, picking up my son when he wants to be held rather than trying to get one more thing done first......and a million other tiny ways I can think of throughout the month to show my love.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails