Friday, July 24, 2009

the economy

I have been thinking a lot lately about the state of the economy (who hasn't, right??), but not only the economy is general, but more specifically, the economy in my household......i.e. the money going in and out of our bank accounts :) 
I have thought about writing on this topic before, but I always stopped myself....I heard someone say recently that most of us would rather discuss our sex lives than discuss our financial lives. I don't about that, but I do know that money is a scary thing to talk about!!

One thing I know for sure, is that I, for one, am grateful for the personal awakening that has come about as a result of the economic crisis. I am more attuned to how much certain things cost, I am MUCH more restrained when it comes to throwing money away at places like Target & Old Navy, and I have begun poring over my credit card statements looking for ways to cut costs. 
My entire perspective has changed over the last few months. I would much rather put $100 into my children's savings account than buy yet another outfit for them that they will likely outgrow in a matter of weeks....trust me, this was not always the case!! Don't get me wrong, I am not above the occasional frivolous purchase, and I believe that a life without scrapbook supplies is not worth living☺ but on the whole, I have become much more deliberate about where our money is going. 

I see all of this as a good thing....and I realize that it is an enormous blessing that I even have the option of buying my children clothes and toys......but I am grateful for the wake-up call. I truly believe that whatever we have has been given to us by God, and I want to be a good steward of our money.....I want to use that money in a way that will be pleasing to the One who gave it to us in the first place.

This is an ongoing process, and there is still so much more I could be doing, but I am actually excited about the future.....it feels good to have a firmer grip on what is coming in and out each month, and to know that we are doing the best we can to secure the future of our little family.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails