Wednesday, February 03, 2010

mentor mamas

Being a mother is hard! Doing it well is even harder!!

I know this is not a news flash for anyone, but I have been thinking a lot lately about how as mothers, there is a sort of unspoken idea that we all know exactly what we're doing and that we can do it all (mostly) by ourselves.

We spend much more time these days behind closed doors. We spend much more time on our computers, connecting through facebook, twitter, blogs, etc..... and although I love these forms of "communication," I worry about the loss of real-life, face-to-face communication.....the giving and receiving of our ideas, our time, our hearts.

I, for one, don't know how to do it all. I see other mamas that I admire, and I am curious about the way they make it work for their families. I am curious about their "tricks of the trade." So recently, I decided to reach out to one of those mothers that I admire. I sent her a quick note on facebook (this is not a mama that I see in my "real" life) and simply told her how much I admired her as a woman, a wife, a mother, and asked her a few questions that were on my mind. After I hit "SEND," I immediately felt ridiculous. I felt vulnerable, and wondered if she would think I was pathetic for sending such a note. But after a few days, I got her reply, and I was so very happy that I had been brave enough (or desperate enough) to reach out. Her response was heartfelt, humorous, and she was very specific about what she believed were the keys to her success (my words, not hers).

I am so very grateful that she took the time to really think about what had worked and what hadn't worked in her own experience as a mother, and that she was willing to share that valuable insight with me. Of course I realize that we are all operating under unique circumstances, and what might work for one mama, may not work at all for another. But my great hope is that we will all be a little more willing to share ideas, insights, and inspirations with each other......that we will be fearless in reaching out to others when we need a little help or a little advice, and that we will be equally forthcoming when it is our time to give the answers.

1 comment:

Gen said...

I love this post. I have the same feelings you do often. I just spoke with a friend yesterday for the first time since she had her baby. (her first) She is a little over a week in and says "is there really no manual for this?" She was being serious. We both laughed.

Jen from mondo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails